What is the Bedford Community Foundation?
The Bedford Community Foundation (BCF) is a public foundation actively serving our community as a fund developer, fund manager, and grant maker. We also serve as a conveyor, planner, and enabler for special projects. It becomes a union of many gifts, many different estates, or parts of estates, contributed for the most part by people of a particular community for the benefit of that community.
does the foundation get its funds?
The BCF receives its money from individuals, families, organizations, or corporations interested in providing financial support for charitable purposes and organizations, which serve the residents of the Bedford Township and surrounding areas. These gifts and bequests make up the permanent endowments of the BCF, the income from which is used to make grants.
are the gifts made to the foundation?
A donor may make a gift or bequest of any size to the BCF for the community's benefit. Many donors provide unrestricted gifts to the Fund of Bedford. This fund responds to community needs as they arise. Other donors designate a specific organization or area of concern. Scholarships and memorial funds are also popular. Contributions may be eligible for tax purposes as allowed by law.
are assets managed?
A volunteer finance committee, comprised of experienced financ professionals, set the overall investment policies. The committee, staff, and evaluation consultant monitors the performance of investment managers carefully.
decides how the funds are distributed?
A volunteer grants committee recommends Grant awards, after review by professional staff. Trustees of BCF make the final decision regarding all non-designated distributions.
does the money go?
Grants are made to charitable organizations serving the residents in Bedford Township and surround areas in the areas of health, human services, economic development, the arts, education, and civic affairs. Grant amounts vary depending on the nature and need of the request.
- Your gift must be to a permanently endowed fund.
- The maximum credit of a $200 donation is $100 dollars.
- The maximum credit of a $400 donation is $200 dollars.
- For a resident, estate, or trust, the credit is the lesser of 10% of the taxpayer's tax liability for the current tax year before claiming any credits allowed by the Income Tax Act; or $5,000.00 for a $10,000.00 gift.
- For single business taxpayers, the lesser of 5% of the taxpayer's liability for the tax year before claiming any credits allowed by the Single Business Tax Act; or $5,000.00 for a $10,000.00 gift.
- If you give less than the maximum, your credit will be 50% of the gift.
Follow the Bedford Community Foundation on Facebook
We have created a Facebook page for you to stay in the know of what's going on at the Foundation.
Attention Highschool students...don't forget to take advantage of scholarships that are available through the Community Foundation.